Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Alienated III

 So we made our way to a table with only two chairs. It was by the front windows of he restaurant. We started eating our subs and potato chips, while we washed it down with water. Maybe about six bites in she started talking,

"You might be asking yourself, "Why is this crazy old woman inviting me to lunch?". Well, the short answer is that, I like you. I like talking to you. And this is probably the last time I will ever have a conversation with you again."

'I'm sorry? I'm not understanding?'

"Well, when you have been here as long as I have. Been married as long as I have. You should know better? I'd gotten caught up with that I'd found a friend that I was connecting to mentally. And told my husband as much. He said, "That's good!". At first. Then I used the pronoun, "He" in a conversation about you? That's where I messed up. And why I'll probably never have a conversation with you again, Meredith. I even like your name."...

(Peace! More to come...)

No comments: