Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Last Appointment? 2013

“So what’s the verdict?” I asked the doctor.

“Meredith. I don’t know what to say?” The doctor said to me earnestly.

“Well, to take a little bit of pressure off of you. You don’t have to say anything. I already knew. Bad?” I asked.

“The worst,” Doctor Whiteman said.

“Well, thank you Doctor Whiteman,” I said getting up from the chair.

“You don’t want to know what kind?” The doctor asked with surprise.

“Not at all Doctor Whiteman. I don’t have any insurance to defend it. And if it is indefensible I really don’t want to know the little time that I have. It’s okay,” I said.

“Really?” The doctor responded quizzically.

“Really,” I said.

“Well. I don’t know. Ethically I should tell you. I’m sorry Meredith. I really am, but…” Doctor Whiteman started looking pained.

“Don’t be,” I said cutting him off, “You’re just the messenger,” as I extended my hand to Doctor Whiteman and the doctor accepted it, giving me a firm handshake.

“Meredith I really have to…” Doctor Whiteman started to say again.

“I really don’t want to hear it. And you can document that in my patient’s history section if you like. Whatever that will do for you or me.”

“Well, good luck,” the doctor said.

“That won’t be necessary,” I said and winked at him and gave him a smile, turned and left the doctor’s office.

No comments: