Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Miss You Two (Black Twenty-Nine Year Old Male) 2003

I used to hear the phrase,"Those were the good ol' days." Then I would listen to the stories from my Mother or Father and they were in the same days the person who avowed that statement and my Mother or Father would not have quite the same perception. Quite the opposite to tell you the truth.

"Boy, those days were hard," my Father would start out and begin on his revelry of why those days were just that, hard.

My Mother would be kind of diplomatic, always the diplomat, "Well,child," she would start out, "Um. They were just different times is all. Good ol' days. I wouldn't say all that. But they were the times. That's about all I can tell yah." And that's all that she would. No need to rehash things that weren't that pleasant, unlike my Father who would give you chapter and verse about those so-called "good ol' days." But my Mother, if pressed, would tell you about those days but she didn't like to. She wouldn't judge those days, she would just tell you the truth about what went on in those days good or bad, you judge for yourself, but those were the times we were living in no matter what I think of them. And I loved that about her. Never judging those times but giving another, like me, something to noodle. I also loved the way my Father was so judgemental and raw about those times. They both gave me this odd even understanding between the two conjoined very different souls perception of life.

I miss them dearly. I miss them like the sun when it hasn't peeked its shining head around the clouds in a day or three. I miss their voices though I still can hear them in my head as memories pass and their speech patterns as well...

I guess I can only say, if I had to grow up again as they being my parents, they would be so tired of me. I would be around them so much. And the funny thing about it is, they would tell me as much. And I would laugh heartily and still hang on to them until they passed or I did.

And I can tell you honestly in my Father's words, "Days are hard." And I can tell you honestly in my Mother's words, "These days are just the days that we are living in."

I miss you both terribly.

No comments: