Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Way That I Walked

 I remember this coach I had in high school football in our fair city. He was a stone cold dick! Hard as nails kind of gettin in yo face kind of coach! But after it has been all said and done, that dick, taught me a hell of a lot about this life when he coached me, back in the day. Thank you Coach Grundy! For real!

He wasn't Crispus Attucks' Track Coach, that was Coach Sam (Martin Sam); but Coach Grundy said something to me way back then because at the time I was not only fast but quick and I think he saw something in me? Coach Grundy was a hard case, you didn't know whether you were doing well or tanking, whatever the case, he was going to tell yo Black ass what the fuck you were doing wrong, not right. "Because with the right you can't recognize the wrongs." Thank you Coach. 

And Coach Grundy was good at that in your face kind of coaching and he knew who to push and who not too. He had... discernment. He would have made a great Head Football Coach, but the world will never know...Anyway it was Track season and I saw Coach Grundy leaving Attucks as I was walking out to the Football Field/Track Field for Track practice. I hollered at him, "Hey Coach Grundy!" He looked at me while I walked toward the field for practice and said, "Hey Hopson!" I turned to Coach Grundy and he said without hesitation, "You're a sprinter Hopson! And you walk like shit! Sprinters are graceful! And you don't walk fuckin graceful. Come see me after practice on Monday. I'll talk to you about it!"...

(Peace! More to come...)

No comments: