Saturday, May 17, 2014

Terminus (Broke Black Prophet) 2003

'We're going to have to let you go," she said.  I didn't blink.  Nor was I surprised.  The company had been firing people at an astronomical rate for the past two months; and I knew sooner or later it would be me taking the long walk to Human Resources like I had just did just six minutes ago before I had gotten the bad news from them.

There is no other reason Human Resources sends you a note to come down to speak with them on a Friday when you first get into work except for termination; the note forbodingly setting on your workstation desk, welcoming you for this Friday's events to come; sending you/me an adverse "Hello."

And all I could do was smile.  Then do the firing shuffle to the elevator that would take me to the first floor; then, I would take a left to the door of doom marked majestically as "Human Resources," which would lead to my termination of this chapter of my life.

"Thank you," I said to Nancy (a proud Human Resources employee).

"Thank You?" she asked, "I sure haven't heard that response in this scenario.  Are you going to be all right?"  She asked and looked at me carefully, making sure she didn't misread me, I just might be one of those employees that acts calm then shoots the place up.

"Nancy, hell, it's not your fault.  I saw it coming with all of the other times this has happened in the last two months.  And I'm sure no different.  I'm saying "Thank You" to you because you are just doing your job.  That's all,"  I said.

"Do you have to get anything from your desk?"  She asked.

"No.  But thank you again. I guess this is my cue to leave.  Do you need to walk me out?"

"No...not you.  You'll be fine.  Good luck to you, Meredith.  I really mean it,"  she said.

"Thanks again," I said and walked out of the Human Resources Department.

I arrived at my apartment.  Went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator to retrieve the Flor de Jamaica, that I drink a gallon of at least every four days or so.  Took a glass from my cupboard.  Filled the glass half with the Jamaica and filled the other half with Apple infused Vodka, making the perfect Cran-Apple Cocktail.  And got properly drunk.

No comments: